Saturday, November 16, 2013

To Do: Blog. Check.

Blogging hasn’t exactly been high on my priority list over the past few months.  I’ve thought about it plenty of times, but naps always seem to win my time.  The start to our third school year in Alaska has been a hectic one, with B teaching full time this year (in addition to all of his previous time fillers,) and me working on cooking our bun in the oven.  I can't say we were necessarily busier, because my once over flowing, impossible to complete To-Do List dwindled down pathetically to the following tasks:

  •   Stay awake between my pre and post school naps.
  •   Don’t barf in front of my first or second (or third, fourth, or fifth) block classes.
  •   Perfect the art of relieving bouts of morning sickness en route to school. (I'll spare you the visual, but Bering Strait winds make it impossibly difficult and unattractive.) 
  •   Eat foods other than the color beige.


Miraculously, after about 18 weeks of being a scary, sleepy, underachieving version of myself, I’ve overcome a few obstacles and moved onto more ambitious feats such as:
  • Extending my bedtime…to a more adult appropriate 8:00, and limiting under-desk naps to once a day
  • Pretending not to succumb to the brilliant, constantly beckoning advertising schemes of Zulily and Gilt.
  • Browsing Pinterest for our nonexistent nursery.
  • Rationing my Nutella intake because it takes so damn long to order more.


So I haven’t done much blogging, but I have been super busy growing a little human. B has been even busier keeping me rational, and dealing extremely well with shenanigans such as my pre-20-week- ultrasound panic attack, during which I was completely convinced of two things. I knew for sure that either a) my uterus was going to be empty, or b) the baby was going to be missing something crucial, like a head. As usual, B was right, and our baby boy is perfectly fine..he even already resembles his handsome dad.  He’s got some crazy long limbs and our midwife said he was big for 20 weeks, so he must have really enjoyed those potatoes, Honeycomb cereal, and all things beige I fed him for four months.

You may have guessed by now that this means we’re planning our move back to a world where we’ll need things like a car seat and our own cell phones.  For now, we’re taking it all in and trying to enjoy and find humor in the things we won’t be experiencing in subsequent pregnancies… like keeping a sleeping bag in my bottom desk drawer, and worrying about whether or not riding a 4-wheeler to work over a bumpy island road is somehow detrimental to the baby’s development.


My next task of the day? Trying to talk myself out of buying the adorable, uber expensive, Patagonia baby snowsuit. My current thought process is if you can’t justify buying one when you live on an island in the Bering Sea, then when will it ever be ok? Our Alaska adventure may be winding down, but we’ll have a pretty cool souvenir to bring back home with us. And depending on my willpower in the next 20 minutes, he’ll potentially be sporting some pretty rad snow gear.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have had some rough days but just think of the stories you will have for you son. I admire you both so much for what you have done & can't wait to hear about your next adventure. Stay safe & hopefully the morning sickness will end soon.

    ReplyDelete